UPSC CSE MAINS SYLLABUS – GS – 3- Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
India’s proximity to Golden Crescent has traditionally been viewed as a source of vulnerability, since it has made India both a destination and a transit route for opiates produced in these regions
- The presence of golden crescent – producer of heroine, hashis and cannabis.
- These are sent through India’s western border. Then they are sent to other nations.
- India has some porous border (Punjab and Rajasthan) along Pakistan. This is being exploited.
- There is a nexus between drug traffickers, organised criminal networks and
- Money from drug trade is used to finance militant groups in Jammu and Kashmir and also terrorist financing.
- There is an existence of international criminal syndicates in India.
All these have varied impacts on India,
- Substance abuse and drug abuse among the youth.
- Increase in terrorist activities and other criminal activities.
- Poor health among the adults.
- General demoralisation of the society and abuse of women may also increase.
What is needed:
- Institutional measures – strengthening the Narcotics Bureau and other drug trafficking frameworks.
- Support them with state of the art – ICT technologies, logistics, and arms.
- Cooperating with International organisations and other nations. Sharing and receiving information from them.
- Border Security should be improved with technologies.
- Policing should also improve.
- Rehabilitation among the affected persons should be intensified.
- Stringent punishment and justice delivery.
- BOLD – QRT and CIBMS.
- Joint patrolling exercises.
- Rehabilitation among the affected sections.
- Community policing and information gathering, especially among the border states.
- Co-opting voluntary organisations and NGO for deaddiction.
- Cooperation with Neighbours.
- India is a signatory
- to the SAARC Convention on Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic substances, 1993.
- BIMSTEC Convention on Cooperation in Combating International
- Terrorism, Transnational Organised Crime and Illicit Drug
- Trafficking in 2009.
POSSIBLE UPSC MAINS EXAMINATION: