Longewala post is a strategic post located on the Indian border of which of the following region?
2.Indo – Nepal
Answer: (a) Indo- Pakistan
In NEWS: PM Modi reaches Rajasthan’s Longewala post to celebrate Diwali with soldiers
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi reached Longewala post at Rajasthan border on Saturday morning to celebrate Diwali with soldiers. PM Modi has been spending the day with soldiers since 2014, the year he first became came to power. Hence option (a) is correct
- During an interaction with jawans at Longewala Post in Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer on the occasion of Diwali Saturday, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said no force in the world could prevent India’s soldiers from protecting the country’s borders.
- Where is Longewala post?
- Longewala is a border town in the Thar Desert in the western part of Jaisalmer district, in the state of Rajasthan, India. It is very close to the border with Pakistan and is most notable as the location of the Battle of Longewala during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
Consider the following statements regardingQuick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile
1.It has been developed by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) for the India Army.
2.It uses solid-fuel propellant and has a range of 25-30 km.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
Both 1 and 2
Neither 1 nor 2
Answer: (c) Both 1 and 2
In NEWS: QRSAM Missile System Achieves Major Milestone
- Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile (QRSAM) System has achieved a major milestone by a direct hit on to a Banshee Pilotless target aircraft at medium range & medium altitude.
- During the test, radars tracked the pilotless target from the farthest range and the missile was launched when target was within kill zone, achieving direct hit.
- About Quick Reaction Surface to Air Missile
- Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile is a missile developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation in association with Bharat Electronics Limited and Bharat Dynamics Limited for the Indian Army. Hence statement 1 is correct
- QRSAM is designed to protect moving armored columns from aerial attacks.
- The entire weapon system is configured on highly mobile platforms and is capable of providing air defense on the move.
- It has been designed for induction into the Army and has a range of 25 to 30 km. Hence statement 2 is correct
- This missile is an all-weather, all-terrain surface-to-air missile equipped with electronic counter measures against jamming by aircraft radars.
- The missile can be mounted on a truck and is stored in a canister.
- The missile is equipped with a midcourse inertial navigation system with a two-way data link and a DRDO-developed terminal active seeker. The system has the capability to search and track targets while moving.
- The weapon system elements have been realized through Defence PSUs BEL, BDL and private industry L&T.
- The missile system is fully indigenous with active RF Seekers, Electro Mechanical Actuation (EMA) systems sourced from various industries.
The term Bandi Chhor Diwas is sometimes seen in the news with reference to:
1.It is the festival symbolizes the patriotism of the people of the region and their close relationship with the Armed Forces
2.It aims to celebrate the relationship between People of Tawang and Army
3.It is the festival which celebrates Sikh New Year and the founding of the Sikh community
4.It is celebrated to mark the historical release of the sixth Sikh guru, Guru Hargobind, from the Mughal prison
Answer: (d) It is celebrated to mark the historical release of the sixth Sikh guru, Guru Hargobind, from the Mughal prison
In NEWS: On Diwali, Amritsar set to celebrate its rich history with ‘Bandi Chhor Diwas’
- Bandi Chhor Diwas (prisoner release day) is celebrated to mark the historical release of the sixth Sikh guru, Guru Hargobind, from the Mughal prison along with 52 kings in early 17th century. Hence option (a) is correct
- Baba Budha Ji, the first head Granthi of Darbar Sahib had started the tradition of lighting earth lamps at Golden Temple to celebrate the return of Guru Hargobind.
- Mughal Emperor Jahangir had imprisoned the sixth guru Hargobindji after killing his father Guru Arjan Devji for refusing to convert to Islam. Hargobindji was arrested on trumped-up charges that he had failed to pay the taxes that were due from his then-deceased father. The 11-year-old boy was put into jail.
- There were several other noblemen and kings who were in the Gwalior fort jail along with Guru Hargobindji. The “bandi” or inmates were held in prison for political reasons.
- On Diwali Day, it was decided that Guru Hargobindji would be released. He insisted that the 52 kings wrongfully held like him, will walk out along with him to freedom. He was granted that wish.
- Sikh Gurdwara, Gurdwara Data Bandi Chhor Sahib, is located at the place of the Gurus internment in the Gwalior Fort.
- Sikh religious leaders and the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee formally adopted this day into the Nanakshahi calendar in 2003.
- The Bandi Chhor Divas is celebrated by the lighting of homes and Gurdwaras, celebratory processions (Nagar kirtan) and langar (free community kitchen).
‘Tristan da Cunha’ which was in news recently is associated with
1.It is a geological submarine fracture zone of the Pacific Ocean
2.It is an art form in which patterns are created on the floor or the ground using materials such as colored rice, dry flour, colored sand or flower petals in West Bengal.
3.It is a region of the Andes rich in lithium reserves around the borders of Argentina
4.It is a small chain of islands of London in the South Atlantic and the water around this islands are considered to be the richest sea bird island in the world.
Answer: (d) It is a small chain of islands of London in the South Atlantic and the water around this islands are considered to be the richest sea bird island in the world
In NEWS: Explained: What is the Atlantic Ocean’s largest protected marine reserve?
- UK Overseas Territory of Tristan da Cunha, which is home to the world’s most remote human settlement, declared the largest fully protected marine reserves in the Atlantic Ocean at 687,000 square kilometres. This will close over 90 percent of their waters to harmful activities such as bottom-trawling fishing, sand extraction and deep-sea mining.
What is Tristan da Cunha?
- Tristan da Cunha, which is inhabited by less than 300 humans is a small chain of islands over 6,000 miles from London in the South Atlantic and the water around the islands are considered to be the richest in the world. Hence option (d) is correct
- The mountainous archipelago Tristan da Cunha is home to tens of millions of seabirds and several unique land birds that are comparable to the Galapagos island finches, as per the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds (RSPB), which has been working with the local community and government of Tristan da Cunha.
- The island group is also home to the World Heritage Site of Gough and Inaccessible Islands, which is one of the most important seabird islands in the world. It is located about 2,000 km from the nearest land and as per the RSPB, it takes longer to sail to Tristan da Cunha from Cape Town than it took Apollo 11 to reach the Moon.
Participatory notes (P-notes) investment in the Indian Market is not allowed in which of the following instruments?
4.None of the above
Answer: d) None of the above
In NEWS: Investment in Participatory notes continues to soar; hits 10-month high in August
- P-notes are issued by registered FPIs to overseas investors who wish to be part of the Indian stock market without registering themselves directly. They, however, need to go through a due diligence process.
- P-note investments in Indian markets – equity, debt, hybrid securities and derivatives. Hence all the statements are correct.
Which of the following Statements is not correct regarding Scrub Typhus
1.Scrub typhus, also known as bush typhus, is a disease caused by a bacteria called Orientia tsutsugamushi.
2.Scrub typhus is spread to people through bites of infected chiggers (larval mites).
3.The most common symptoms of scrub typhus include fever, headache, body aches, and sometimes rash.
4.Most cases of scrub typhus occur mainly in urban areas of India.
Answer: d) Most cases of scrub typhus occur mainly in urban areas of India.
In NEWS: 5 killed in Nagaland scrub typhus outbreak
- Scrub typhus, also known as bush typhus, is a disease caused by a bacteria called Orientia tsutsugamushi.
- Scrub typhus is spread to people through bites of infected chiggers (larval mites).
- The most common symptoms of scrub typhus include fever, headache, body aches, and sometimes rash. People with severe illness may develop organ failure and bleeding, which can be fatal if left untreated.
- Most cases of scrub typhus occur in rural areas of Southeast Asia, Indonesia, China, Japan, India, and northern Australia. Hence option (d) is not the correct answer.
- Scrub typhus should be treated with the antibiotic doxycycline. Doxycycline can be used in persons of any age. People who are treated early with doxycycline usually recover quickly.
With reference to e-choupal, consider the following statements
1.It aims to link directly with rural farmers via the Internet for procurement of agricultural and aquaculture products.
2.It is an initiative of ITC limited, a conglomerate in india.
3.The programme installs computers with Internet access in rural areas of India to offer farmers up-to-date marketing and agricultural information.
Which of the statement(s) given above is/are correct?
- 1 and 2 only
- 2 and 3 only
- 1 and 3 only
- 1, 2 and 3
Answer: (d) 1, 2 and 3
In NEWS: ITC Agri rolls out more collaborative -Choupal 4.0
- E-choupal aims to link directly with rural farmers via the Internet for procurement of agricultural and aquaculture products. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- It is an initiative of ITC limited, a conglomerate in India. Hence statement 2 is correct.
- The programme installs computers with Internet access in rural areas of India to offer farmers up-to-date marketing and agricultural information. Hence statement 3 is correct.
With reference to User Depot Module (UDM), consider the following statements
1.UDM is developed by Centre for Railway Information System.
2.Implementation of this system will bring in transformational changes from manual working to digital working with real time transactions and online information exchange among all stakeholders.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
Answer: (c) Both 1 and 2
In NEWS: Railway rolls out User Depot Module to completely digitize its supply chain
- User Depot Module (UDM) developed by CRIS (Centre for Railway Information Systems) was rolled out digitally across all User Depots of Western Railway. This system will be implemented shortly across all Zones of Indian Railways. Hence statement 1 is correct.
- Railway’s supply chain up to Stores Depots has already been digitized, however activities at user end are being done manually.
- Implementation of this system will bring in transformational changes from manual working to digital working with real time transactions and online information exchange among all stakeholders. This will ensure digitization of complete supply chain, including user depots. Hence statement 2 is correct.
- The system will facilitate economy, efficiency and transparency besides improved asset management. It will ensure improved service level and satisfaction to customers.
Recently, our scientists have discovered a new genus called ‘striped bubble nest frog (Rohanixalus vittatus)’. In which part of India has it been discovered?
2.Andaman and Nicobar
Answer: (b) Andaman and Nicobar
In News: New genus of tree frog discovered, found in Andamans and Northeast India
- Scientists has reported a new genus of tree frog from the Andaman Islands called Striped Bubble-nest frog. Hence option (b) is the correct answer.
- Biological name: Rohanixalus vittatus
- The new genus ‘Rohanixalus’ is named after Sri Lankan taxonomist Rohan Pethiyagoda.
- Striped Bubble-nest frog belongs to the genus of the Old World treefrog family Rhacophoridae.
- This is the first report of a tree frog species from the Andaman Islands.
Rajya Sabha has equal powers with Lok Sabha in
1.the matter of creating new All India Services
2.amending the Constitution
3.the removal of the government
4.making cut motions
Answer: (b) amending the Constitution
- The powers and status of the Rajya Sabha are equal to that of the Lok Sabha in the following matters: Introduction and passage of ordinary bills. Introduction and passage of Constitutional amendment bills. Introduction and passage of financial bills involving expenditure from the Consolidated Fund of India. Election and impeachment of the president. Hence option (b) is correct