UPSC CSE – SYLLABUS – GS – 3- Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life
Augmented intelligence is an alternative conceptualization of artificial intelligence that focuses on AI’s assistive role in advancing human capabilities.
Augmented intelligence is a design pattern for a human-centered partnership model of people and artificial intelligence (AI) working together to enhance cognitive performance, including learning, decision making and new experiences.Augmented intelligence reflects the ongoing impact of AI in amplifying human innovation.
To augment not to replace:
- The common assumption today is that AI will replace human labor altogether.
- But this grossly discounts the importance of human creativity.
- Beyond automation, there is also a complementary evolution in the processes of human design and innovation that build on computing technologies.
How is it so :
Where the Agricultural Revolution harnessed domesticated animals for pastoral farming, and the Industrial Revolution designed machines for factory production, so today the Computational Revolution is leveraging computers to augment human intelligence.
- New social and economic opportunities are emerging with AI that directly impact human capabilities. Across a host of industries medicine, engineering, entertainment, transportation, and design, AI and machine learning continue to introduce new innovations that augment human performance.
- As per experts, even as the current wave of automating technologiesdisplace a wide range of occupations, it remains the case that AI will be complementary to many kinds of creative work.
- It will also amplify work that requires creativity, problem solving, and social collaboration.
- In this Creative Age, intrinsic passion is becoming pivotal to skilled professions so that economic needs (in the traditional sense) are becoming increasingly dependent on creativity and entrepreneurial innovation.
- As we move from the Information Age into the Creative Age, demand is growing for a profound transformation in learning at all levels of formal education.
- A key challenge for educators going forward is understanding the critical importance of human creativity in the context of AI and augmented intelligence.
- AI ensures that the nature of work is changing.
- What this means to education is that educational strategies will need to deliberately pair creativity with technology in order to ensure that students value technology in the context of amplifying their own talents and capacities.
POSSIBLE UPSC MAINS EXAMINATION: